[Seaside] onClick vs callback

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:04:56 UTC 2008

> But I also need some javascript in onClick event generated by evaluator.

This is AJAX and the A is for asynchronous. This means the evaluator
will return immediately after having set off a request in a background
thread. If you change to a different page right away, the background
request is aborted/ignored.

> The problem is, that the javascript code from onClick seems to be executed
> only if I call "return: false" for the evaluator. But in this case, the
> callback of the button is not run :(

"return: false" tells the browser *not to perform* the callback.

> "return: false" with triggerForm(Element): doesn't work.. Is the answer
> evaluated before the javascript and then it doesn't make sense or is there
> any other problem..?

You can tell your evaluator not to be asynchronous using
"asynchronous: false". However consider the comment for this method:
"Determines whether XMLHttpRequest is used asynchronously or not.
Since synchronous usage is rather unsettling, and usually bad taste,
you should avoid changing this. Seriously."

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch