[Seaside] Swazoo as reverse proxy?

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Fri Feb 8 22:48:23 UTC 2008

On 2/8/08, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> So, what do you think? Is it a good idea, do you see any obstacles?

For what it's worth: what would be most interesting to me is a proxy
that could cope with a very dynamic set of backend servers.  For
Dabble DB, for example, there are 10s or 100s of thousands of
potential backend webservers (Squeak images), which might be
added/removed/moved at any time, most of which won't be running (and
so need to be lazily started if a request comes in for them), and
which may shut themselves down again at any time without notice.  An
effort in the Ruby world that comes closer to what we need that
anything I've seen is SwitchPipe: http://switchpipe.org/ .  However,
it has the same problem that many proxies do, which is to assume that
there is a finite and static set of backend services, and require a
configuration file for each one.

If this kind of thing could be done in clean Smalltalk code rather
than in the mess of Apache rules and scripts we have now, it would be
great.

Avi