[Seaside] Swazoo vs. Apache benchmarks

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Feb 10 16:39:24 UTC 2008

Dear Web Smalltalkers,

In light of our last debate about Swazoo in comparison to Apache and out
of curiosity I did some benchmarks of them to clarify our position on
the web serving scene. Here are the preliminary results in a table:

	http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html

As you see Swazoo is not bad at all, only 4x slower from Apache on small
files on VW! On Squeak it is 18x slower. For a 100KB file VW it is 12x
slower while Squeak is 40x.

I did benchmarking on Gemstone too but those results are currently quite
disappointing. Probably because Hyper is not so optimized as the new
Swazoo 2 HTTP server, so that porting a new Swazoo there would help too.

I think we can conclude that Swazoo (at least on VW for now) is actually
able to serve quite demanding web sites, but as we already said, Swazoo
is not there to compete with Apache but to be a simple starting step,
which can later evolve if needed to the most demanding serving on Apache.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek