[Seaside] Serving static files from an external web server

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:33:00 UTC 2008

Hi

> It (seaside 2.9) is still under heavy development. Some more information is here:
> http://www.seaside.st/community/development/seaside29 and in the
> repository http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside29.

Is it already usable ?

I have a smallrequest concerning the way files are served, you said
you worked on WAFileLibrary. Will the FTP addon that Colin provided be
included ?

Also, for a convenient and easy setup, I've found myself often serving
static files from an external web server (accesible by ftp), usually a
free one provided by FAI. I think it's a common pattern.

Would you find interesting to adapt the WAFileLibrary to be able to
connect to a remote FTP server ? We could even edit files through a
seaside interface (CSS, JS) and so, it could be sort of transparent to
the user. I don't know if what Colin provided support this but I think
it uses the same server (the one running squeak).

To me it's a step towards easy use of seaside (newbies one click
style). You run your image at home on your PC or whatever, and no need
to setup apache (which even if relatively straightforward is far more
complicated than doing "WAKom startOn: 8080" :) ).
Then, all static files are served through an external apache server
and doesn't causes heavy load on your personal computer. After, if
application is stabilized (if you don't want to let your computer on
all day), it can be set up on seaside hosting by just uploading the
image.

What do you think ?

Cédrick

ps: I have Pier at home, 200 connections/days, squeak runs fine (yes,
only 10 per hour so not really convincing), but it's up for one month
(around 5000 connections) and I still can use my computer which is a
old Athlon 3000+ :). Squeak processor uses (XP) is oscillating
beetween 2 or 5% (for one connection).