[Seaside] Concurrency question

Jeffrey Straszheim jstraszheim at comcast.net
Mon Feb 18 23:38:15 UTC 2008

Dale Henrichs wrote:
> In Squeak, HTTP requests for _different_ sessions are processed
> concurrently via green threads (a thread is forked for each HTTP
> request). HTTP requests for the _same_ session are serialized via a
> session-specific Semaphore.
Interesting.  Is is possible to create multiple sessions for the same
physical user?

The reason I ask is I'm currently designing an interactive application,
which has been prototyped in Rails.  However, it requires asynchronous
updates from the server frequently.  Currently I'm making an Ajax
connection to poll the server every 3 seconds.

Obviously this won't scale.

I'm interested in trying out the "long polling" comet technique
(described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29).
This basically involves making a background Ajax request to the server,
and just *waiting* until an event occurs.

Meanwhile, however, the user may be doing stuff on other parts of the
page, and making Ajax requests that will need to be serviced.

Is there a good way to do this in Seaside?

(Note: currently I know *nothing* about Seaside except having read
through one of the tutorials.  I want to know if it will meet my needs
before I crack down to learn it.)

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone who replied.

--
Jeffrey Straszheim
http://straszheim.50megs.com