[Seaside] I need success stories

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Fri Feb 22 03:38:14 UTC 2008

> So, does anyone on this list have experience using Seaside in a high
> traffic scenario.  I'm talking 200+ hits per second at least.  How did
> it handle the load?  What sort of hardware did you choose?  What load
> balancing?  What database?

I've seen this question pop up from time to time and unfortunately there
is no easy answer to it. However, there are some things you can take
away that should make you feel more confident about any web framework
you choose to use.

The 200+ requests per second is probably the thing I like to analyze the
most, because I always wondered when this sort of traffic would happen.
A prime example of an unexpectedly high traffic effect is the digg
effect / slashdot effect / various other names. Usually this effect will
hit a site that is generally low on traffic, say, 2000+ hits a day.
They'll suddenly get boosted to 40k hits in a single hour.

http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/attention_span/

The important thing to see here is that this 'extreme' where suddenly
you're getting the attention of a page like google or yahoo for a few
short minutes is exactly how many hits per second you actually have to
handle. In the above page they witnessed 78,000 hits per hour on their
first slashdotting and 1930 hits per minute.

The don't give us a higher resolution than that to know exactly how many
hits per second they were seeing, but if we take a nieve approach, the
average hits per second was 32. If say that all of that traffic hit
within the first 15 seconds, then we get up to 96 hits per second.

Can Seaside handle that? James Robertson did some rather coarse
statistics to see how Seaside currently compares across Smalltalks and
between Seaside 2.8 and Seaside 2.7. Admittedly, he could have done more
but it serves as a nice rough guide:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Scaling_Seaside_in_Cincom_Smalltalk&entry=3372841275
His results show 79.4 hits per second.

So without real hard data to know exactly what would happen, it appears
on the surface that you would actually survive a slashdotting without
any extra hardware or any extra caching strategies.

With that out of the way, we can now talk about what you would do to
scale beyond. You can of course, put caching strategies in front of your
application, or distribute it across machines, serve it up on Amazon's
cloud, use one of the distributed web cache engines, etc... though
applications that lend themselves to this sort of distribution are
rarely transaction based, so you can almost certainly rule out a
requirement for writing to a database as part of that 'massive hit'.

Even if we say the high hit rate is the norm for your application - and
that would require you to really hit something big like Twitter (and
Twitter maxed out at a mere 5 hits per second until they started
optimizing themselves) - then running two servers at once immediately
doubles your capacity.. it is near linear capacity growth when you add
more servers.

I wish I had stats on having two Seaside images running simulatenously
on the same machine with dual cores for you, but I don't just yet..
sorry about that.

So we know that Seaside itself isn't really a major bottleneck to
performance, but there are other obvious factors that you've listed
above. The big one is Database whether it be an Object database or a
Relational database, you end up with the same sorts of bottlenecks..
number of connections, speed of connection to the database,
unintentional callback blocking, accidental 'read it all in to memory'
instead of streaming... that sort of stuff is quite commonly missed.

Luckily all those things have been solved when working with Seaside and
various databases. Gemstone is multithreaded, Glorps interfaces can
connection pooling, VWs VM is non-blocking on callbacks.. most database
drivers are streaming based.

This is in contrast to the way Ruby on Rails is initially setup. It
comes with one database connection with a global lock on it. In fact, it
was this design flaw in RoR that caused Twitter to faulter so badly. The
biggest change they made on their site was not to stop producing pages
dynamically (although they did in the end) but to have multiple database
connections at once in a pool.

Another thing that can drastically cripple your application is excessive
memory use by your application or other applications on your server such
that memory is forced to be paged out to disk. This is an absolute show
stopper and can be caused by excessive state storage in your
application. This is rarely caused by Seasides continuations and is more
often caused by large object domains read from a database and cached in
memory for each user or something similar.

Conversely, creating too many objects and throwing them away immediately
(or worse, putting them in a weak set and throwing them away
immediately) can tax the server by putting too much pressure on the
garbage collector. This can easily halve the number of hits per second
you can support. But again, this is a rather rare scenario to be in and
it's easy to diagnose with profiling tools.

A few years back the company I worked for did an online federal election
polling site. It was surprisingly popular and experienced regular
'slashdotting' effects. The machine and network were over specced.. quad
core, four servers, load balanced, huge raided multicore database server
on 1 gb network ... none of the servers batted an eyelid. We could
easily have taken a hundred fold traffic increase and we'd still
probably have plenty of CPU time left to play civ4 on a huge map.

Sorry, this has been a long email - but I think my point was - Seaside
is unlikely to be a major cause of bottleneck if you do start getting a
lot of traffic. The usual strategies for load balancing and removing
bottlenecks on the back end work the same as in any other web
development environment.

Cheers,
Michael