[Seaside] Help with understanding how #call: works

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:16:01 UTC 2008

Don't call in a render.

When you see call: in the renderContentOn:, it is inside a block,
which is invoked later (usually on a click). See

http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/CallAnswer/index.html

Quoting:

Don't call: from renderContentOn:
One of the most common mistakes of first-time Seaside users is to try
to call: a component from another components rendering method,
renderContentOn:. The rendering method is just for that, rendering. It
should display the state of the current component just as it is. It is
the job of callbacks to change state, call other components etc. There
is never a reason for a typical Seaside user to invoke call: during
rendering. If you want to render one component inside another one read
the chapter on Embedding components.