[Seaside] I need success stories

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Fri Feb 22 17:30:11 UTC 2008

Jeffrey Straszheim wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I almost have a business partner convinced to give Seaside a try for
> an upcoming web project.  However,  although I love the ideas behind
> the technology, and I would love to use Smalltalk on a real paying
> gig, I have a deep fear that if we get heavy traffic the system
> wouldn't keep up.
>
> So, does anyone on this list have experience using Seaside in a high
> traffic scenario.  I'm talking 200+ hits per second at least.  How did
> it handle the load?  What sort of hardware did you choose?  What load
> balancing?  What database?

Jeffrey,

We've benchmarked Seaside running in GemStone/S on a 4 core Linux box at
230 requests/second. The details of the benchmark are published at
http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/scaling-seaside-with-gemstones.

We don't have any customers running Seaside applications at those rates,
but we do have customers that run their GemStone/S applications at
commit rates significantly above 2000 commits per second. With GemStone
Seaside, we do a commit per request so there is a direct correlation
between http request rate and commit rate.

Supporting request rates in the 200+ requests/second range is definitely
feasible, but I don't have a handle on the hardware requirements at this
point in time.

Hope this helps,

Dale