[Seaside] Are Collections threadsafe?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Feb 25 21:46:52 UTC 2008

Hi again!

Malte Zacharias <malte.zacharias at nordakademie.de> wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt answer.=20
>
> But in what way are Semaphores broken? Completely or are there certain
> cirumstances that need to be avoided?=20
> I have to admit, I am quite surprised to hear that. Is the same true for
> seaside-mini.image and/or squeak web-dev image?

Let me just say that Semaphore and Monitor have been around and used a
LOT - and I mean, LOT LOT LOT.

So saying that these things are "broken" is an overstatement. :) Sure,
we have discovered some issues - but we are talking things that have
gone undetected a loooong time.

IMHO - while you can learn something from digging into these discussions
and patches, you could also just move along and use a Monitor (or
Semaphore - but a Monitor is probably "smarter") and be done with it.

regards, Göran