[Seaside] Automating ajax component updates

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 1 01:45:23 UTC 2008

I am trying to push Ajax in non-localized page changes e.g. a single Ajax
callback can result in several components on a page being re-rendered. Is
the following approach semsible?

1. components listen for announcements from their model objects
2. any interesting model object change is batched by the component someplace
when the change is detected
3. all batched changes from 2 are re-rendered at next chance

I'm a bit stuck on two points:

A. Where #2 should build up the batch. Seems like a Page object would be
ideal. Is such a thing accesible (root of the component tree)?

B. How #3 can get the appropriate canvases to render upon. Should I do
something like this:
 html evaluator callback: [ :s |
   batchedItems do: [ :changedComponent |
     s element id: changedComponent id; update: ??? ]]

What should the "???" look like? I don't think I have a canvas to render on
at this point.

Thanks - Sophie