[Seaside] Session expiry

Amos aaamos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:09:57 UTC 2008

On 1/2/08, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No, that's a propre solution.
> >
> > Sorry, I respectfully disagree. And everyone that I've shown Seaside
> > to, as much as they immediately liked it, the reaction to the handling
> > of expired sessions is always something that brings up a frown. And
> > while using JavaScript to spice up websites is great, sites *should*
> > work for browsers without it, or with JavaScript disabled.
>
> Sure, this approach gracefully degrades to the default session expiry
> behavior of Seaside. The JavaScript approach spices up the experience
> so that as long as you keep the window open the session never expires.
> If you want something else, such as bookmark-able URLs, you
> (additionally) need something else.

This default session expiry behaviour is exactly what gets my goat...
;-) There's nothing graceful, imho, about clicking on a link and being
sent, by default, to the site's start page. If the default were to
send users to a simple "session expired" page, that would change
things completely for me...