[Seaside] Re: OK to directly call (#renderContentOn: html) ofsub-component ?

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 17:13:07 UTC 2008

"Lukas Renggli" <renggli at gmail.com> wrote in message
> Have a look at the self-senders of #renderContentOn: to see what you
> miss when you call it directly. Alternatively step though #render:
> with the debugger.

Thank you very much, I understand it now.

> - With state: create a new class (subclass of Object) and implement
> #renderOn: accordingly. Don't declare this object as a child, it is
> not a component, but store it in some instance-variable (i guess this
> is what you need).

I already do Menus like this, though my reason in that case was too many
components cluttering Seaside halos. In other cases perhaps I can do
something like:

Parent>>renderContentOn: html
    callback: [:r | self executeCallback.
                self basicRenderOn: r].

Parent>>executeCallBack
  model doSomething.
  self reconfigureChildrenInstVars.

> PS: Maybe you want to introduce yourself sometime? You ask a lot of
> interesting questions and people are certainly interested to know who
> you are and what you are doing ...

Of course ... I'm Sophie, working on a small niche web app (can't detail
much more yet), live in the US Southwest. I'm pretty new to Smalltalk (waded
in and out a couple of times in the past, but this is my first immersion). I
am almost completely new to Seaside and Scriptaculous (did a small
experiment once over a year ago, re-started just 2 months ago). I am amazed
at the framework, and at how quickly one can build without too much
experience. And I am nervous about how much I (probably) do not understand
yet.

Many thanks - Sophie