[Seaside] About Seaside 3.0

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Jul 12 18:19:29 UTC 2008

On 12-Jul-08, at 9:12 AM, David Zmick wrote:

> I was recently using turbogears, for python, and I really liked the
> template thing that it has, maybe we should try yo build something
> like that for seaside?

I'm not familiar with turbogears, but I think that reintroducing
templates would be a step backwards. Seaside 1 had quite a nice
template system, and I wrote another one for Seaside 2 that resembled
Lisp macros. But both of those systems were abandoned because
programatic HTML generation is actually better than templates. For
smaller apps, it seems like a wash: you're just writing HTML with
Smalltalk syntax, and there this layer of indirection that you have to
understand so that you can produce the HTML you have in mind. But as
the size of an app grows, programmatic HTML generation becomes more
and more valuable. You can factor it into rendering methods that
create common-ly used bits of markup. You bring all the power of the
Smalltalk IDE to bear on it - even simple things like "senders" and
"implementers" is really valuable.

Colin