[Seaside] About Seaside 3.0

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Sun Jul 13 05:00:24 UTC 2008

My last 3 projects came to me with already populated mysql databases
as starting points.
So I chose RoR because bending ActiveRecord onto mysql is dead easy.

Bonus, tools like activescaffold automated creation of CRUD gui's to
the extent that I was able to get out of writing a LOT of admin code
that I would have to write in seaside.  It is instant CRUD with
optional customization.

Also, if you want to break into the commerce game (and mostly, I'm
doing small business commerce work these days), then porting
activemerchant would be a brilliant idea.  Once again, I find lots of
people wanting a site suited for building a little community around a
couple of products and having a simple little web shop.  IOW, consider
the website requirements for a shareware author.

He needs user management (signup, password recovery, access control),
payment processing, forums, a blog, and some static content.  For this
stuff, people turn to things like Drupal, oscommerce, ubercart,
zencart, phpbb, mephisto, beast, and so forth.  Lots of pieces, but
still nothing quite ready to go - lots of stitching is still required.

Just some food for thought based on my clients' requirements over the
last six months.

-Todd Blanchard