[Seaside] About Seaside 3.0

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 14:57:07 UTC 2008

2008/7/13 Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu>:
> Philippe,
>
> You are missing the point.  So what if port 80 is difficult to use - use
> another one.  The idea is to offer a system administrator an interface
> to check the status and make small changes to what is essentially an
> appliance.  The fewer things that could potentially be mis-configured,
> the better.

Nope sorry. HTTP is port 80 HTTPS is port 443. Anything else just
causes trouble.

> In the type of work I do, I will take simple, slow, and encrypted any
> day.  I am not "building web sites" in this situation, so the rules to
> which you cling do not apply.  That said, I will want your guidance for
> the few machines I envision setting up that will be "web sites" in the
> more typical sense.  And yes, they will be based on Apache.
>

> "Apache will still be running when your image is long gone and can serve
> a nice 503 page". That's scary.

No, that's very reassuring.

> Where is the problem?  Is it Seaside,
> or dialect-specific?

Smalltalk images do a lot of things as a consequence there are very
lot of things that can go wrong. Smalltalk images were never
engineered for reliability. One rouge thread can take down the whole
image. Contrast that to Apache which was engineered for reliability.
An Apache module can segmentation fault and Apache keeps running.
Compare that to the Squeak image where the UI event thread can
interact in very interesting ways with the GC.

> I am accustomed to my Smalltalk images running
> strong when the OS is starting to crumble around them.

Good for you.

Cheers
Philippe