[Seaside] About Seaside 3.0

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 20:44:02 UTC 2008

2008/7/13 stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr>:
> I understand what you mean by reliability (running 20 servers and killing
> the ones not running)

No, I mean the following:
For each request Seaside forks a special "restricted process" which
has the following properties
- it is not allowed to allocate more than 2 MB of heap memory
- it is not allowed to use up more than 10 secs of CPU time (not
counting IO wait and GC)
- it is lightweight like normal Smalltalk processes

In addation on a image level there are the following properties:
- instances of WASession are not allowed to take up more than 100 MB total
- we are not allowed to have more than 10'000 live instances of WASession
- we are not allowed to have more than 20 concurrent Seaside requests
-> we don't have more then 20 restricted processes

Of course all numbers are subject to tweaking.

> but pay attention, squeak vms is not = to smalltalk vms.

Yes, gems are indeed very different and provide also other nice
features like session replication.

Cheers
Philippe