[Seaside] Seaside/Squeak/Linux: service with GUI as needed

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:20:11 UTC 2008

>  > >  Is this a SSH/VNC task, or is there a better way.  Some things I have
>  > >  read appear to suggest that one can simply use VNC to attach to the
>  > >  running Squeak service and a GUI instantly appears???  That seems too
>  > >  slick to expect it to work.
>  >
>  > RemoteFrameBuffer is perfect to do that. Like this you start you image
>  > headless on the server, and use a VNC client to connect to the screen
>  > from anywhere. I use that on all my servers.
>  >

> Yes, me too. Do you think it would be possible to let the squeak browser
>  module do a vnc connection. That could be cool for some situations where
>  you just enter the https url of your admin site and connect from the
>  browser image to the production image. But I don't know if the squeak
>  module is able to connect on another port. Tunneling the vnc of port 80
>  would be some work and would destroy the benefit.

I don't understand what you mean? What is a module?

There is a web-based application (WAScreenshot) included with Seaside
that enables accessing the GUI of a headless image through the web. It
is a bit slow (it essentially just displays a screenshot) and not very
user-friendly (mouse clicks on the screenshot are forwarded to the
image) though.

If you use RemoteFrameBuffer (VNC) you are very likely tunneling
through an SSH connection anyway. I guess nobody wants to keep an
unencrypted VNC port open on their server.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli