[Seaside] thoughts on Seaside 3.0

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Jul 14 17:33:56 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Jared" == Jared Hirsch <jaredhirsch at yahoo.com> writes:

Jared>   The reality of the web is that good graphic designers create XHTML by
Jared>   hand, and giving good designers control only of the CSS (like in
Jared>   seaside 2.8) isn't nearly enough. I think everyone should spend an
Jared>   afternoon reading articles on 'a list apart' to start to understand
Jared>   that there are intelligent people who devote lots of time to
Jared>   hand-coding "beautiful html." And take a look at the design openings
Jared>   on 'authentic jobs' to see that there are web design companies that
Jared>   pay lots of money for this specific skill.

Yes, but if you look at each of those designs, you see that the "semantics"
are provided by relatively simple items (div here, ul there) and class-tagged
so that the interesting work (the "presentation") can happen in the CSS.

I take back what I said a few days ago about a templating system.  I do
believe we need to keep semantics and smalltalk closely knit, and let the
styling come through a separate channel.