[Seaside] Re: thoughts on Seaside 3.0

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:33:32 UTC 2008

Well, I want to say something on this: I have worked by eight years on
web-applications, and one of the main reasons I love seaside is because
of his lack of templates, and I have many reasons:

1) The whole thing about "UI designers can take care about the
ui-specific-program details, but programmers can't take care about the
UI stuff is a bunch of crap: most of the ui-designers can't program,
and guess what? web-applications need programming in the UI side.
2) When you use a templating system, UI-designers use cut&paste
technics for produce his pages, and of course, this ends with lots of
bad-designed (in programing terms) pages and presentation stuff who
nobody can or want to mantain.
3) well designed programs works as Avi described before me: a designer
just need to change CSS most of the time, and sometimes a little change
in HTML... this path requires much less effort that the other (who is
enforced by html templates): designer changes templates and programmers
adapt his sources to the changes.
4) templates work against code reusability

So, *please* stay away of templates for seaside.

Thanks,
Esteban