[Seaside] thoughts on Seaside 3.0

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Mon Jul 14 23:48:24 UTC 2008

> I wish I could believe this.  I recently put out a call for a "CSS
> Savvy web designer" and I got quite a few submissions.  I have been
> plowing through the portfolios and sample work and the bottom
> line is,  out of over 100 designer submissions, 3 were "mostly" properly
CSS
> driven.

I did say... "Initially, there's some effort required with programmer and
designer learning to work with each other".

More specifically, *some effort* actually entailed me teaching the designer
to learn to use CSS properly and showing him how to translate his HTML
idioms into CSS idioms.  CSS is a language and it's trivial for a programmer
to pick up.  What the designer has that the programmer tends to lack, is
taste.  Teach them how to express their taste in CSS and show them how it's
actually less work than doing so in HTML, and they'll be on board.

If you're looking for the right people, how you look makes all the
difference in the world.  Don't ask for CSS savvy people, people lie, a lot,
even to themselves.  Instead test for CSS savvy people.  Put out a simple
HTML document on the web, then advertise for a designer by asking for them
to submit a style sheet for it, showing off their skills and taste.  The
fakers and wannabe's won't apply, instead of looking through 100 resumes and
portfolios, you'll be looking through half a dozen, from people who actually
have the chops and think your test is absurdly simple.

I wouldn't hire a programmer without him submitting sample code for a
trivial test of his skills, and I'd apply the same rational to a designer.
Anyone who says no to a simple test, doesn't have the chops you're looking
for anyway.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com