[Seaside] rebuild children - when to do it

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 08:28:04 UTC 2008

>  That said, however, I'm looking at the code in 2.9 and 2.8 and while I
>  swear you *used* to be able to easily subclass WAPresenter, it seems
>  like it may be a little more awkward now. I still think we should be
>  doing a better job of pointing out that you can implement any class
>  with a #renderOn: method and thus reuse rendering code but I think
>  you're right that we need that properly documented with examples and
>  it may just be confusing now.

I don't remember having subclassed WAPresenter ever, therefore I don't
know if it works out of the box. Earlier versions of Seaside (somthing
as early as 2.4 or so) had WAView, but that was dropped because it
wasn't used anywhere (the last user was WABrowser).

Furthermore with the transition from the old rendering API to the new
one (which is based on brushes that you instantiate), it is less
necessary to have a specific class like WAView. If required you can
always create a subclass of WACompoundBrush that provides all the
functionality to have stateless and configurable XHTML snippets at
your fingertips.

And as noted above, implementing #renderOn: in specific renderable
objects is quite a common pattern.

Cheers,
Lukas

--