[Seaside] OSCON "contest"

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Tue Jul 22 20:16:18 UTC 2008

Philippe,

Thanks for the thorough code review. I've embedded comments below...

James

On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> - Thumbs up for Magritte and Pier parser
> - Autoaccessors of magritte would probably a good idea but I don't
> know if they work with Gemstone. If not use the Refactoring Browser to
> generate them. I don't know how eager people are to write accessors.

I'll be using an IDE that has a menu item that will generate accessors.

> - Speaking of RB, maybe you could introduce some problem an fix it
> with RB? ;-)

The edit-and-fix is certainly something I'd like to demo. With luck I
won't have to plan for a problem ;-)

> - Do you need MACommandColumnEx and MACommand? Could you get away
> without them even if it makes the code less obvious (not everything
> about Rails is obvious). Given that the code is not longer.
>
> something like:
>
> (MACommandColumn new
> 			addCommand: [ :item | self view: item ] text: 'Show';
> 			yourself)
>
> instead of:
>
> (MACommand new
> 			callback: [:item | self view: item];
> 			with: 'Show';
> 			yourself)

I think I need these extensions to get the "Are you sure?" JavaScript.
I couldn't find a way to get a MACommandCollumn to add the #'onClick:'
to the anchor. (In a similar way, I think I need the
PRDocumentComponent to render the Wiki markup. It seems like this
capability should have been available already but I couldn't find it.)

> - Are you prepared to make courses first class objects?

My first couple attempts did take that approach. On further
reflection, it didn't look necessary from the requirements and it
required more typing.

> - Nice looking examples are important. Search a good, nonobstruvise
> CSS. Ideally you can just wrap a decoration around your root component
> that takes care of this. Doesn't need to be fancy. Something like YAML
> or blue print CSS could work. Or steal the Rails CSS or something ;-)

Yes, we are spending some time today looking for images and styling.

> URL handling (so messy it deserves its own section)
> - that's probably the part I would drop first when running short on
> time

I did think I'd put that off till toward the end and let it drop if I
run out of time.

> - your URL parsing looks a bit hairier than usual

Suggestions are welcome! Are there any examples of clean URL parsing?
is there a base class I'm not using?

> - only if you have free time consider playing around with #updateRool:
> and add to path
> - storing the path from #initialRequest: in an instance variable is
> not a good idea

Is there an easy way to get access to it in the render code? I saw it
in the initialRequest: method, so took it. If I can defer it to the
render code, then I'll move it there.