[Seaside] OSCON "contest"

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Tue Jul 22 20:23:12 UTC 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Kyle Dawkins wrote:

> Hey James
>
> Good work!  I have a few suggestions...
>
> * RoR people are impressed by smoke & mirrors.  Try to make the
> entry/edit forms work as lightboxes.  It's a feature of Seaside and
> should be easy to implement, though not sure how well it behaves
> with Magritte... anyone?

I'm thinking that the Magritte stuff is overall helpful, but I already
am extending it to get some missing features (JavaScript). I'm not
sure what I'd do with lightboxes--mostly because I'm not that familiar
with them.

> * One nice thing about RoR and Django is that their default styles
> are very nice.  Are you allowed to prepare some styles and have them
> ready?  It looks a bit "raw" without.  Simple stuff like setting the
> font to something nice and getting rid of ugly table borders.

Yes, we'll spend some time beforehand looking into CSS (though other
submissions are welcome!).

> 20 minutes is not much time at all... I think they're going to find
> in practice that most people are unable to get anything too
> impressive going.  The django guys tried to show off how fast it is
> to develop an app at a recent Portland python UG meeting, and 45
> minutes later they were still puzzling over some silly little thing
> and never got a working app going...

We'll practice our script and hope to avoid that fate!