[Seaside] OSCON "contest"

Conrad Taylor conradwt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 21:34:01 UTC 2008

Hi James, I would like to wish you the best of luck.  Using Gemstone/S will
allow you to concentrate on other parts of the example because you don't
have to deal with RDBMS.  Next, it seems that the competition caters more to
Rails and REST if there's a firm requirement in regards to the URL.  Thus,
is it really necessary to parse the URL?  For example, this is all the
possible options for the search form:
option A:  no input text,  no  selection  Result:  all the items in the list

option B:  input text, no selection  Result:  subset of all the items in the
list

option C:  no input text, a selection  Result:  subset of all the items in
the list

option D:  input text, a selection  Result:  subset of all the items in the
list

Next, here's my translation of the last three bullet points on the contest
page:

/receipe/ID  equals the Show link
/recipes/titles*/SUBSTRING* or /recipes?titles=*SUBSTRING  equals one of the
options above (i.e. text input and selector)*
/recipes/course*/ID* or /recipes?course=*ID  *equals one of the options
above (i.e. text input and selector)

In short, I'm thinking that the URL parsing is irrelevant because you're,
for the most part, interacting with the form.

Good luck,

-Conrad