[Seaside] Re: Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] File Upload/Download Server, Comanche or Swazoo

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 06:01:12 UTC 2008

2008/7/23 "S.J.Chun" <chunsj at embian.com>:
> Hmm,
>
> it seems that with current Seaside(I'm using 2.8) large file upload mught be hard
> task.
>
> And for file size, not all files have that size.(Sorry for my poor english) But some of
> the files will have that size.

10 GB is massive. There are whole lot of 32bit integers that can
overflow and a lot of other things that can go wrong at any stage
including the browser and Apache.

> My current idea is that I should create module(?) for Comanche or Swazoo for File
> Upload (this just process multipart/form request for file upload with additional
> parameters) and small web application or module for processing download url.(This
> might be possible with Seaside with RESTable URL support or simple module).

I only tried the upload streaming for Kom on localhost. While it could
handle largish files (40 MB) it wasn't able to get close to 400 MB. So
Kom might not be your tool. I have not seen an upload streaming API
for Swazoo (which doesn't mean it's not there). Squeak might not be
the best tool for the job where. HTTP might not be as well.

For the download I would simply set a X-Sendfile header and let Apache
handle it.

Cheers
Philippe