[Seaside] Swazoo 2.2 beta with fast file upload

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Jul 26 17:49:38 UTC 2008

Dear Smalltalkers,

New Swazoo 2.2 is ready for beta testing, with much improved upload
(input streaming) performance as a main new feature.

On Squeak it uploads 15 times faster than before, achieving 1.5MB/s
throughput locally on my Linux 3.2GHz PC.

On VisualWorks it is even more impressive: 30 times better, achieving
15MB/s throughput. This means only 20s for 300MB file upload!

In both cases upload performance is about half of the download one due
to additional MIME parsing needed.

I can say that now we have an Smalltalk web server with comparable
performance to others in terms on upload performance too. This also
means that Swazoo is ready for demanding upload tasks like video
uploading as well, while video (like screencast) serving is a common
practice for a while.

Please help testing it. It is available here:

- Squeak: http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo/Swazoo-2.2.beta1.mcz

- VisualWorks: in public Store: Swazoo 2.2beta1

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek