[Seaside] Re: Re: [squeak-dev] [Q] File Upload/Download Server, Comanche or Swazoo

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 21:39:07 UTC 2008

2008/7/29 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>:
> Hi!
>
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> 2008/7/23 "S.J.Chun" <chunsj at embian.com>:
>>> Hmm,
>>>
>>> it seems that with current Seaside(I'm using 2.8) large file upload mught be hard
>>> task.
>>>
>>> And for file size, not all files have that size.(Sorry for my poor english) But some of
>>> the files will have that size.
>>
>> 10 GB is massive. There are whole lot of 32bit integers that can
>> overflow and a lot of other things that can go wrong at any stage
>> including the browser and Apache.
>>
>>> My current idea is that I should create module(?) for Comanche or Swazoo for File
>>> Upload (this just process multipart/form request for file upload with additional
>>> parameters) and small web application or module for processing download url.(This
>>> might be possible with Seaside with RESTable URL support or simple module).
>>
>> I only tried the upload streaming for Kom on localhost. While it could
>> handle largish files (40 MB) it wasn't able to get close to 400 MB. So
>> Kom might not be your tool. I have not seen an upload streaming API
>
> Hmmm, not sure -  but IIRC I uploaded 300Mb files easily using the
> streaming code I made. I don't have it handy now for testing - but I am
> not sure why it would not work?

That would interest me too.

I made some very limited testing on Squeak 3.9.1 and the Mac VM, these
are my observations:

300 MB, hogs CPU badly, image grows dangerously but works
600 MB, hogs CPU badly, low space semaphore, image unusable
4 GB, Squeak image crashes, system unusable, reboot required

Cheers
Philippe