[Seaside] Ideas worth stealing

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 00:43:17 UTC 2008

Ah, please don't get me wrong.  I don't actually like RoR.  I find
Ruby's syntax to be confusing and pointlessly complex.  OTOH, it has
the right mix of stuff for the mission and I'm getting more
comfortable with it.  But I still don't really like it.

I do independent software development from my home.  I cater to small
businesses - largely because nobody else does and they need software
too.  These clients are very sensitive to price and time to delivery.

I select the technology stack for each project based on the needs of
the client.  I'm just explaining why Seaside hasn't been getting
picked.  There are things I or my clients need that it just doesn't
have.  A good CRUD story on mysql is one of them.  Documentation is
another.  Deployment is a third (although I remain hopeful for GLASS).

When I make contributions to software projects, it is usually in the
context of a project.  I'll solve problems in the context of whatever
I'm working in.  I'd love to take the time out to contribute to
Seaside but if I'm not using it, I'm not likely to be able to do it.

It doesn't help that my septic system packed it up this spring and I
have to pay for a replacement - I'm not turning down any work this
year and I'm short of spare cycles to give away.  Usually I take the
summer off to do whatever I like. :-(

So, short answer - I would love to dive in and crack this nut - but I
don't have the resources to do it right now.