[Seaside] Encoding question

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:45:43 UTC 2008

2008/6/3, Andres Fortier <andres at lifia.info.unlp.edu.ar>:
> Hi Sebastian, Philippe:
>                                   sorry for the short description: I'm using
> seaside in VW 7.4.1 (actually Swazoo + Seaside). Encoding is UTF-8 in the VW
> image.

Well that should work. Supposed you have Seaside 2.8, can you go to
/seaside/tests/alltests
(you probably need a go somewhere)
and run the encoding test?

> Now, I guess I must be wrong in this, but isn't WAHtmlEncoder
> supposed to do the conversion between special characters and html entities?
> I found kind of weird the standard implementation of #encode:on: since it
> makes you think that this is the purpose of this class. So I guess I should
> rephrase my question: what is WAHtmlEncoder supposed to do? Who should be in
> charge of translating the html entities? The web server?

No one, really. The only characters you need to escape are $" $< $&
and $> which is exactly what WAHtmlEncoder does. What the web server
is supposed to do is encode from characters to bytes. If your image
encoding is utf-8 then is a simply one to one mapping (given your page
encoding is utf-8 as well).

Cheers
Philippe