[Seaside] hand-written javascript in Ajax

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 06:10:58 UTC 2008

> I'm really enjoying the Ajax integration with Seaside.  Thanks Lukas!

Thank you.

> I'm trying to embed a hyperlink into a third party widget (Google Maps).  I
> want to place a link into the marker and then execute an ajax call that
> updates a list on the server when a user clicks on that link.  I'm confused
> how I should implement this because I don't understand what parameters I
> should use for the session variables and Seaside+Scriptaculous builds the
> IDs and everything else for me.  I assume I should define a wrapper method
> that then calls into a seaside generated ajax method, but since all the Ajax
> code is so tightly wrapped into Seaside, I'm struggling on where to do this.
>  I love that I don't even have to think about Ajax in order to use it, but
> in this case I'd like to find a hook into the process.

I don't know how you pass this link to Google Maps?

If you want to generate an URL-String for a given AJAX updater you can
write something like:

  (html updater id: 'foo'; callback: [ :r | r render: 'bar' ]; url) asString

Is this what you want? Or do you also need an XHTML snippet with an
anchor tag around that?

  (html javascript render: [ :h1 |
    h1 anchor
       onClick: (h1 updater
          id: 'someId';
          callback: [ :h2 | h2 render: 'Hello World' ]);
       with: 'Click Me' ]) asJavascript

I guess you get the idea ;-)

Cheers,
Lukas