[Seaside] albatross, magritte... and what else...

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Jun 24 16:44:33 UTC 2008

Ken> Is there a good one/two punch sort of article somewhere?

My recent versions of the "Seaside: Your Next Web Framework" are really
shaping up to be the "extended elevator" talk.  If you can follow along with
the slides from
http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/presenting-seaside-at-myspacecom-headquarters.html
while listening to the video linked from
http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/look-ma-im-on-myspacetv.html -
that's the most complete pitch so far.  An abbreviated version of it was given
at Smalltalk Solutions, and they have my PDF of the slides, so you can watch
the STIC site for that to go up soon as well.

Ken> Any advice on the process of convincing management that is only just
Ken> aware of Smalltalk?  Any important pitfalls?

Management is always looking to *reduce risk*.  Smalltalk is one of the least
risky things you can choose because: (a) it's mature (b) the IDEs are also
mature (c) it's easy to learn for anyone who has an OO background, and (d)
there are multiple commercial and open-source vendor implementations.  My talk
addresses those points and more.