[Seaside] How to develop and deploy

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Jun 25 17:40:47 UTC 2008

> At the time Ramon blogged about Seaside Deployment, he had
> used Apache 2 and probably it didn't have out of the box Load
> Balancing. That was the exact reason why he had used HAProxy.

Correct, I wrote that before mod_proxy_balancer existed, I really need to
update the article or write another one.

These days I use mod_proxy_balancer to do the load balancing with something
like this config...

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName www.yoursite.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/www.yoursite.com
    RewriteEngine On
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ExpiresActive on
    ExpiresByType text/css A864000
    ExpiresByType text/javascript A864000
    ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A864000
    ExpiresByType image/gif A864000
    FileETag none

    # http compression
    DeflateCompressionLevel 9
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
application/xml application/xhtml+xml text/javascript text/css
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4.0[678] no-gzip
    BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

    # Let apache serve static files NOW
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f
    RewriteRule (.*) $1 [L]

    #proxy remaining requests to a seaside cluster
    ProxyPass /yourApp balancer://seaside_cluster/seaside/yourApp
lbmethod=byrequests stickysession=server
    ProxyPass / balancer://seaside_cluster/ lbmethod=byrequests
stickysession=server
    ProxyPassReverse / balancer://seaside_cluster/

    <Proxy balancer://seaside_cluster>
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3001 route=yourApp3001
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3002 route=yourApp3002
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3003 route=yourApp3003
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3004 route=yourApp3004
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3005 route=yourApp3005
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3006 route=yourApp3006
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3007 route=yourApp3007
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3008 route=yourApp3008
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3009 route=yourApp3009
    	BalancerMember  http://localhost:3010 route=yourApp3010
    </Proxy>
</VirtualHost>

And then in my seaside app on the #initialRequest: I set the load balance
cookie using the following...

setServerCookie
	| port |
	self session currentRequest cookies
		at: #server
		ifAbsent:
			[ port := (HttpService allInstances select: [ :each
| each isRunning ]) first portNumber.
			self session redirectWithCookie: (WACookie
					key: #server
					value: 'seaside.yourApp' , port
asString) ]

I'm very happy with this setup and happily ditched HAProxy a while back.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com