[Seaside] [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jun 25 19:19:37 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Sean" == Sean Allen <sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com> writes:

Sean> On Jun 25, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>> Oddly enough, if all they wanted was credit, a BSD license with
>> an advertising clause would have in fact done precisely that.

Sean> I think the 'sell it as their own' might be a big part of that equation.

Well, if you're giving it away as open source, someone else selling
it can't be part of the equation.  So the only part you might object
to is "their own", which would be handled with an advertising clause.

I often take open source as part of my commercial solutions.  I respect any
advertising clauses, but I'm certainly not going to be going out of my way to
not make money incorporating the work of others into my own work... that's the
whole *point* of open source: to not start over at ground zero for each new
task.  Go read the original RMS manifestos... that's the point he was trying
to make, although he decided to do it by ensuring that there was no such thing
as proprietary code.  I take a different tactic... that the core technologies
should be open, but each company can build their own company-specific items on
top of that.