[Seaside] CSS style - static vs dynamic

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 21:45:33 UTC 2008

>  My question: What is the problem with generating the style string on the
>  fly?

It certainly works, but it is just not the way CSS and XHTML are
supposed to interact together. The web browser and Seaside won't give
you and your users the performance and experience one would expect:

- You application will be noticeably slower, because the web browser
has to do two sequential requests, one for the XHTML and one for the
changed CSS.

- Seaside will eat up much more memory, because it will need to serve
all the different CSS styles from a cache.

In my opinion it is much easier to change some CSS classes in the
XHTML to configure the look with predefined styles.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch