[Seaside] Design of WAComponent(s)

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Thu Mar 6 20:00:25 UTC 2008

> Come on.
> I'm far from a newbie (at least I believe it) and this is
> boring to develop from scratch the same. I imagine that lot
> of people reuse their own component.
> When I write a desktop app, I'm not a newbie still I like to
> reuse window, buttons and label.
> At least I'm not interested in knowing how scrollbar and
> other details work.
> Where is the newbie here?
>
> Why people like to take extreme statements.

I don't think I'm making any extreme statements, it's not like Seaside
doesn't give you controls, we're not talking about buttons, scrollbars and
labels here, at least that's not my impression.  We're talking about more
advanced non html components like tree widgets and datagrids, things that
are much more than just simple markup.  These things aren't stable, every
new js library that comes out has it's own take on how to do them, which is
why they don't belong in core, they belong in external component libraries
like Scriptaculous, or wrappers for Yahoo Widgets or Mootools.  The core
should be stable stuff, the stuff that deals with standard html controls
(labels, buttons, scrollbars, input boxes, checkboxes and such) that don't
change with the latest trend of what's cool.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com