[Seaside] Component tree vs. DOM tree

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Tue Mar 11 11:57:26 UTC 2008

> - who is maintaining the application state and interaction logic?

Hi Andreas. I see your question relevant. The application state should be
maintained with Seaside due to it's convenience. The DOM tree should maintain
only widgets state. I do this all the time without any problem. Usually my
widgets opens and closes (or expand and collapses) and they do the action using
scriptaculous but also executing a request which will update the open/close
state in server to evade "surprising" users just in case a full render occurs.

> UI and application state are not necessarily identical and
> you do not want
> to keep your whole state in the DOM tree (this would mean
> your application
> becomes too much dependent on a particular tree).

What you described here is the path of going too much javascript. In that path
anyone will feel Seaside will help less and less. From economical to security
reasons I think application model (and domain model of course) should be
exclusively a server concern. That’s where you can take the real advantage of
Seaside.

In this approach I see javascript as a "neo View" part of the classical triad.

	cheers,

Sebastian