[Seaside] object databases and other questions of architecture

Sean Allen sean at ardishealth.com
Thu Mar 27 13:16:28 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am looking for a new and better set of tools to use to build the
next version of the software we use to run our e-commerce site
both front and back ends. There is a lot about Seaside that gets my
imagination running with how easy it would make certain
things we have thought about doing that are just plain hard to do with
most tools. Our urrent system is mysql 5, nginx, memcached
and mod-perl based web-applications and a variety of scripts that get
run via cron for day to day housekeeping.

I'm sick of fighting with ORMs and ending up stuck in a land that is
neither OO nor Relational so a key point of this is
to ditch the mysql and find a nice stable object database. From what
I've seen when looking at the options available for
use with Seaside there is magma, goods and webstone/s. Am I missing
anything in that list? Can anyone give me
feedback on any of those from the standpoint of... our relational
database would immediately map into something in
the area of at least 12 million object and depending on design upwards
of 20 million with at least 250,000 being added
monthly. As object databases get much less use than relational ones,
I'm quite a bit more nervous about this part of
the process than I would be if it was something like: mysql or postgres.

Currently we run everything off of debian boxes. Are there issues with
the type of memory use etc that we would looking
at with running on debian ( or any other linux ) in terms of stability
etc? I seem to remember seeing something about
squeak having issues with larger image sizes. Would a different VM be
better suited for the task I have at hand?

I really like Seaside and think we could do great things with it but I
have quite step learning curve pretty much across
the board here so any help with narrowing down architecture questions
some is greatly appreciated.

-Sean-