[Seaside] object databases and other questions of architecture

Sean Allen sean at ardishealth.com
Thu Mar 27 15:57:32 UTC 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Colin> Another downside (compared to where you are now) is that
> Gemstone is a
> Colin> commercial product, and if you want to scale beyond a certain
> point,
> Colin> you'll have to pay for it.
>
> If you can't make enough money from 100 dynamic hits per second to
> afford the
> $7000/year second-tier Gemstone license, you probably don't have a
> very good
> business model. :)

Given the number of objects that our six years of relational data
would map to,
I've been assuming we would have to jump straight to the $7000/year
model.

Which I look at this way.. $600 a month.... would it save us $600 worth
of developer time a month? Yeah, I dont think that is an issue.

What I'm interested in, is the best tool for the job.

I take it from what I've gotten here, that Gemstone's vm and object
database
are considered the best of breed for seaside at this time ( or are
expected
to be soon ); would that statement be correct?

--

side tangent that may be related:

does seaside feature any page caching facilities? a small segment of
our application ( code wise ) gets 90% of the actual usage and features
a 'dynamic once until expiration' setup where currently we create the
content dynamically if something has happened to cause it to expire
and then put in memcache and serve directly from there save a ton
of application server processing.

Is there anything of this sort currently? What would be the best of
breed
I should consider looking at?

Just trying to get everything together so I know what tools to start
playing with.

All your help so far has been greatly appreciated.