[Seaside] The Weekly Squeak Summary No. 17: Jan 13 - Mar 22, 2008

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez m.coba.m at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 01:23:08 UTC 2008

Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> Philippe Marschall ha scritto:
>> 2008/3/24, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi Philippe,
>>>

>>>  On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Philippe Marschall
>>>  <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  > Sorry but this is the Seaside mailing list, not squeak-dev.
>>>

>>> that Weekly Squeak Summary e-mail was sent to the following lists:
>>>  announcements, beginners, seaside, and squeak-dev. Just like all
>>>  before. ;-)
>>>
>>>  The News team agreed on this bunch of lists when the Summary was
>>> kicked off.
>>
>> Very well but the news team does not run this list. We would
>> appreciate it if we could keep the mails on this list about Seaside.
>> People with an interest in Squeak can subscribe one of the mentioned
>> lists or read the Weekly Squeak.
>>

> Hi Philippe,
>
> the decision for sending this summaries to the Seaside list goes back to
> when Seaside was pretty much a Squeak-only framework. I remember asking
> the mantainer of this list (at the time, it was Avi) for permission to
> send the announcements. Noone ever complained before. Do people now feel
> that's not appropriate anymore?

Of course it is apropriate.
I think that Seaside is an entry point to Smalltalk in general and to
the Squeak world in particular. So, if people are comming to smalltalk
by means of Seaside, this kind of messages can show the other
*interesting* things that are part of the squeak world. We have to
remember that Seaside is just a part of a bigger set of technologies
and, the more people know about them, the better for us.
It is very difficult already to convince *enterprises* to use
alternatives to java/php/.net, but if we can reach a critical user base,
as the ruby on rails did for ruby, we can have a better chance to bring
this technologies to them.
By not allowing the spread of information like the squeak new are trying
to do, we are just working agaist this goal.
So I vote to allow and to contribute to the spread information by this
and another means.

Cheers,
Miguel Cobá