[Seaside] The Weekly Squeak Summary No. 17: Jan 13 - Mar 22, 2008

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 06:23:47 UTC 2008

2008/3/28, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com>:
> > From: Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
>

>  > Giovanni Corriga wrote:
>  > > Philippe Marschall ha scritto:
>  > >> 2008/3/24, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com>:
>  > >>> Hi Philippe,
>  > >>>
>  > >>>  On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Philippe Marschall
>  > >>>  <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >>>  > Sorry but this is the Seaside mailing list, not squeak-dev.
>  > >>>
>  > >>>
>  > >>> that Weekly Squeak Summary e-mail was sent to the following lists:
>  > >>>  announcements, beginners, seaside, and squeak-dev. Just like all
>  > >>>  before. ;-)
>  > >>>
>  > >>>  The News team agreed on this bunch of lists when the Summary was
>  > >>> kicked off.
>  > >>
>  > >> Very well but the news team does not run this list. We would
>  > >> appreciate it if we could keep the mails on this list about Seaside.
>  > >> People with an interest in Squeak can subscribe one of the mentioned
>  > >> lists or read the Weekly Squeak.
>  > >>
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Hi Philippe,
>  > >
>  > > the decision for sending this summaries to the Seaside list goes back to
>  > > when Seaside was pretty much a Squeak-only framework. I remember asking
>  > > the mantainer of this list (at the time, it was Avi) for permission to
>  > > send the announcements. Noone ever complained before. Do people now feel
>  > > that's not appropriate anymore?
>  > >
>  > Of course it is apropriate.
>  > I think that Seaside is an entry point to Smalltalk in general and to
>  > the Squeak world in particular. So, if people are comming to smalltalk
>  > by means of Seaside, this kind of messages can show the other
>  > *interesting* things that are part of the squeak world. We have to
>  > remember that Seaside is just a part of a bigger set of technologies
>  > and, the more people know about them, the better for us.
>  > It is very difficult already to convince *enterprises* to use
>  > alternatives to java/php/.net, but if we can reach a critical user base,
>  > as the ruby on rails did for ruby, we can have a better chance to bring
>  > this technologies to them.
>  > By not allowing the spread of information like the squeak new are trying
>  > to do, we are just working agaist this goal.
>  > So I vote to allow and to contribute to the spread information by this
>  > and another means.
>  >
>  > Cheers,
>  > Miguel Cobá
>

> I'm glad somebody finally said something.  I was just going to let this go
>  figuring if nobody says anything than I guess it doesn't really matter.
>
>  I was personally offended by Philippe comment.  It is really hard for me to
> [...]

That was not intended to be a quality rating about about your work,
indeed I find the weekly Squeak of high quality, there is no need to
be offended. The reason I wrote this mail to the list instead of the
news team directly is that we can have a discussion in public and
everyone who is interested can post his opinion.

What made me write this mail is that to me:
- Seaside is not about promoting Smalltalk
- Seaside is not about the Squeak "environment" (EToys, Shopie,
Croquet, Scratch, OLPC, SqueakLand, research project X, ...)
to me Seaside is a web framework for Smalltalk who runs on Squeak. Period.

Who ever is interested in the Weekly Squeak can read it directly or
via RSS feed. If we have a weekly Squeak on this list, shouldn't we
have a weekly Cincom Smalltalk, Dolphin Smalltalk, Gemstone Smalltalk
and GNU Smalltalk as well? If we had all these would that still be
appropriate? What's the reasoning for not posting on the Magma and
Exupery lists as well?

Or to make an other example. Would you find it appropriate if the Sun
news team would post the weekly Java in the mailinglist of Tapestry?

Cheers
Philippe