[Seaside] Reminder hackontest.ch: What feature would you like to see in Squeak/Etoys/Scratch/OpenCroquet/Seaside/Sophie/...?

Markus Gälli gaelli at emergent.de
Wed May 7 07:41:53 UTC 2008

Hi folks

as I pointed out earlier I've registered Squeak on
http://www.hackontest.ch

"Can you code 24 hours non-stop? Hackontest is a new Google-sponsored
24-hour programming competition between different open source
projects. Its goals are to enhance Free Software projects according
to user needs and to make visible how enthusiastically open source
software is being developed. During the current online selection
process users and developers of open source software may submit
feature requests and rate and comment them. On August 1st, 2008 the
Hackontest jury will pick the three most promising teams. Each team
will receive a free trip to Switzerland on September 24/25, 2008 to
participate in the competition located in Zurich. Hacking 24 hours
inside an etoy.CONTAINER, the teams and their virtually present
communities will implement certain features based on the online
ratings and jury selection. In the end, the Hackontest jury evaluates
the code and awards the winners with a total of USD 8500. The jury is
made up of 10 renowned open source contributors: Jeremy Alison
(Samba), Jono Bacon (Ubuntu), Brian W. Fitzpatrick (Subversion),
Martin F. Krafft (Debian), Alexander Limi (Plone), Federico Mena-
Quintero (GNOME), Bram Moolenaar (vim), Bruce Perens (OSI founder),
Lukas K. Smith (PHP) and Harald Welte (gpl-violations.org)."

For a more detailed description what hackontest is about see the
"word from the sponsor" at
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/05/happy-hacking-real-
time.html

It is absolutely ok to register the requests you yourself would like
to work on.

So please feel very free to
- register on http://www.hackontest.ch (make sure to press the submit/
login buttons, simple enter did not work for me),
- add you favorite project to Squeak
- and start rating.

I think having some feature requests there would also help us to
advertise for "All things Squeak" in general.

Cheers

Markus

p.s. We definitely should have some Etoy related project, as the
event will be hosted by the art group called Etoy.com :-)
http://etoy.com/blog/archive/2008/04/22/etoy-got-slash-dotted.html