[Seaside] question on database and scaling

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Mon May 12 06:06:50 UTC 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 7:23 AM, Edward Stow wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM, James Foster
> <Smalltalk at jgfoster.net> wrote:
>
>> GemStone/S Web Edition is available at no cost, even for commercial
>> use,
>> with the primary limitation of 4 GB of disk. For more information see
>> http://seaside.gemstone.com. Dale's blog
>
> James, could you clarify the terms and conditions of the Web Edition.
> That is Gemstone is available for free commercial use **only if**
> Gemstone is running on / in the VMWare virtual appliance.  Can you
> confirm?
>
> For me this is an awkward restriction as I use a VPS to host my web
> applications.

Edward,

While the formal license (http://seaside.gemstone.com/docs/GLASS-License.pdf
) is the final word, I can say that the Web Edition is tied to Linux,
not a particular hardware environment (virtual or otherwise). The
VMware virtual appliance is intended to simplify the install/setup/
configuration process (which is non-trivial and requires changes to
the various kernel parameters such as virtual memory). A VPS host
should be just fine (provided you have root or sudo access to set
kernel parameters).

James Foster
GemStone Systems, Inc.