[Seaside] Google opponent

Peter Osburg peter.osburg at gmail.com
Wed May 28 21:12:53 UTC 2008

Hey list,

I am currently attending the Google I/O. And as soon as I see presentations
about the Google App Engine und the GWT, I wonder if Seaside does provide
all those functionalities since quite a lot of time?

Looking at the App Engine: compare that with seasidehosting.st
What are you doing? You write your code, save your image and upload it to
seasidehosting.st ... and voila, there is your webapplication online.

What does the App Engine provide:
Write you code in Python (boooh), upload it to the google cloud and there
you go as well! Sure, there is a slight difference, because Google currently
provides more then seasidehosting does, but in general there seem to be
quite the same idea.

So let's switch to the Google Web Toolkit. What does it do?
It provides the functionality to write your code in Java, you use GWT and it
gets fransformed into a cross-browser-platform supported code.
So we do write our code in Smalltalk, use Seaside capabilities and as well
have our AJAX / HTML / JavaScript code available without ever touching it.

Seriously, think about it. If we could do some more promotion for Seaside,
and investigate a little more time on a cool portal (like seasidehosting) we
could definitely raise to an opponent of Google. I know, this sounds
visionary, but it is reachable...

By the way I try to tell everyone I talk to about the powerful Webframework
Seaside and it's implementation in Smalltalk!

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Osburg