[Seaside] Best way to keep a site look consistent

Michael Perscheid michaelperscheid at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 09:43:11 UTC 2008

Andres Fortier schrieb:
> Hi list,
>            I guess this is a pretty basic question, but I just want to
> get it right. I would like to have a site with a consistent frame around
> the content (e.g. like the Hasso-Platter seaside tutorial site). So far
> the way I found to do this is:
>
> 1. Define a decoration (e.g. WAMyCustomDecoration) which does something
> like:
>
> renderContentOn: html
>         html
>             divNamed: 'outer-container'
>             with: [html
>                     divNamed: 'inner-container'
>                     with: [self renderOwnerOn: html]].
>
> 2. Define an abstract class for the site (e.g. WATemplateForMySite) that
> performs:
>
> initialize
>
>         super initialize.
>         self addDecoration: WAMyCustomDecoration new.
>
> 3. Make all the classes of my site subclass from WATemplateForMySite.
>
> What I don't like very much are steps 2 and 3. Is there a better way to
> do this? Maybe configuring something in the #updateRoot: message, so
> that I'm not forced to subclass from WATemplateForMySite?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>                                Andrés

Hi ---,

in our tutorial we have a start (root) component which renders the inner
chapters of each tutorial part. Additionally the root component consists
of the menu, the prev/print/next links and the outer design template. So
we have implemented the navigation task in an own component independent
of each chapter. It is easy to add or remove a chapter on the fly.
Perhaps it is possiple to shift some parts of the implementation in a
decoration. But we have decided to do it this way.

Kind regards,
Michael