[Seaside] ANN: Seaside 2.9a1 release

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:36:09 UTC 2008

2008/11/11, Lautaro Fernández <evaklo at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/11/9 Julian Fitzell <jfitzell at gmail.com>
>
>> [...]
>> A more complete list of change and new features can be found at
>> http://seaside.st/community/development/seaside29
>>

> That page (under Modularization) says the following:
>
> [...]
>
> It allows for smaller Seaside installations. For example you can have
>> Seaside without the tests or without Kom and use Swazoo 2 instead.
>
> [...]
>>

> This mean that just a few changes need to be made in order to get a working
> Swazoo-Seaside server?

It means no changes need to be made. Swazoo 2.1 is supported out of
the box (well in theory at least, in practice it has only been tested
on Squeak).

> Could you tell me a place to see a how-to use this modularity in order to
> make the port of Swazoo to work with Seaside?

To get everything working in Squeak you need to:
- open an "empty" Squeak image doesn't have Seaside, Sport or Swazoo loaded
- drag and drop the attached file over the Squeak window
- select "fileIn entire file"
- if a debugger opens telling you that instance variables start with a
lower case letter hit proceed
- when everything is done evaluate
  WASwazooAdaptor startOn: 8080
- go to http://127.0.0.1:8080/seaside/tests/alltests

If you open the Monticello Browser from the world menu you'll see a
lot of Seaside-*, Javascript-*, Scriptaculous-*, RSS-* and JQuery-*
packages that make up Seaside. Everything that has no -Squeak- in the
package name should load directly into VW. Everything that has a
-Squeak- in the package name has to be reimplemented (only if you want
it of course). However most parts can probably be salvaged either from
the existing 2.8 port or the Squeak implementation.

Cincom supports Seaside so it's probably best to talk to them.

Cheers
Philippe