[Seaside] Creating a component that requires a callback:

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Mon Nov 24 17:42:55 UTC 2008

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> What you're about to do is pretty advanced in terms of Seaside use.
> You'll be confronted with implementation details that the normal
> component developer never comes in contact with.
    heh, I hope to manage :)
>     renderContentOn: html
>         html script: 'doSomethingRequiringURL(', self  callbackUrlFor:
> [ self settingsXml  ]');'
    thanks a lot, I think this'll give me a kick start.
> PlotKit sends all the data to the client in the JavaScript, not
> callbacks are made or supported. PlotKit also uses components and not
> compounds.
    yeah, I noticed. But this flash component I'm trying to use
loads stuff from a URL (and in the meantime it puts a nice

    Now, I found another way to do it, and I don't need to generate
the configuration XML in a callback anymore, but I still want a
callback for the data itself. I'll try to manage with your example.
> Other places where you can look for inspiration are Scriptaculous
> (generates XML and JS dynamically for the client, can be used through
> the html canvas) and Sextant (SVG with callbacks).
    Yeah, I dived into its code, but got lost quite quickly :(
> AFAIK DabbleDB uses flash for at least some of their charts so maybe
> they can help you as well.

uhm... interesting idea. I'll take a look, the do have a few controls
that look like what I want to do.

    Thanks for the ideas.