[Seaside] Apache configuration

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 3 23:28:35 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I am struggling a little with Apache and rewrite rules; I generally
expect a hazing period with anything new, and this is about right.  It
would be nice to have the whole thing simpler than it is, largely
because I fear missing something and leaving a gaping whole for hackers.
 Many posts and blogs insist the configuration is in fact easy to do,
even going so far as to offer sample files.  Often there are warnings
about parts of the configuration that are beyond the scope of the post -
fair enough.

Case in point: see

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-November/015167.html

Quoting it, "Here's the modified httpd.conf file to run Fred:".  See
text below for easy reference.

Now for my dumb question of the week: is that the entire configuation
file, as in put that in place of httpd.conf and the thing runs?  Clearly
changes would be required, but if things truly can be that simple, it
seems as though one could create a largely "relocatable" config file,
and/or some Smalltalk code to write one to meet specs.  I have tried
such simple files w/o success, and cannot easily tell whether the file
is missing parts, or if the parts are buggy.  Any ideas?  Is it really
as simple as indicated below??

Bill

# "Stolen" from above-referenced archived message :)
LoadModule proxy_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule proxy_http_module
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
LoadModule rewrite_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule ssl_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so

ServerName www.goodsexnetwork.com
NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.101:80
<virtualhost 192.168.1.101:80>
ServerName www.goodsexnetwork.com
RewriteEngine on
ProxyRequests off
DocumentRoot /var/www
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [L,R]
</virtualhost>

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.101:443
<virtualhost 192.168.1.101:443>
ServerName www.goodsexnetwork.com
RewriteEngine on
ProxyRequests off
ProxyPreserveHost on
SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/apache.pem
DocumentRoot /var/www/ssl
ProxyPass /seaside/fred http://localhost:9090/seaside/fred
ProxyPassReverse /seaside/fred http://localhost:9090/seaside/fred
RewriteRule ^/$ http://localhost:9090/seaside/fred/$1 [P,L]