[Seaside] Seaside and Apache

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Oct 8 02:42:47 UTC 2008

Hello all,

After a few days of getting almost nothing (even in logs, which was
driving me nuts), I tried a different approach and had a self-signed
https Apache proxying Seaside.  I will start to congratulate myself
when
I can reproduce it.  Toward that end, I have been writing some truly
ugly code to capture how to do some things.

First, I have ported part of some OpenSSL tools I use with Dolphin,
specifically the part the builds self-signed certificates.  In short,
found recent versions of OpenSSL unbuildable with MinGW (please feel
encouraged to prove me wrong on this one!), and the pre-built
openssl.exe I found did not work properly on Win32.  Since Apache now
ships with mod_ssl and OpenSSL libraries, all I needed was a working
openssl.exe.  The Penguin to the rescue, so I altered the certificate
factory to write a shell script; it could be integrated with OS
Process
to "just do it."

Not fully tested yet, I also added some things to get Squeak/Pharo
running as a service on Windows via the resource kit tools.  So far,
the service starts and then stops; advice on debugging that would be
appreciated.

Configuring Apache is still something of a mystery to me.   I am
content with having everything transported by SSL, and to force the
use
of the correct URLs (at least for now).  Below please find some sample
output from my evolving tool. The goal is to generate a nearly correct
configuration based on the local host and registered Seaside
applications.  It found more than shown below, but please have a look
at
it to see if I am a mockery of the location statements.

If something usable results from this, I will make it available.

Bill

# Apache-related concepts herein were shamelessly stolen from sources
including:
#
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-November/015181.html

# http://leftshore.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/apacheandseaside.txt

Listen 443

SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/wherever.cert
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/wherever.key
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown

ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPreserveHost On

<Proxy *>
	Order deny,allow