[Seaside] Authentication task and https

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 17 17:13:34 UTC 2008

Julian,

Are there any restrictions on how or on which classes to set the
protocol option?  So far, I have used #registerAsApplication: and then
set preferences.  But unless I am missing something, I can't simply
browse for implementers of #serverProtocol:.  Is there a way to set a
protocol for something that does not deserve the label of "application"
(which I read as entry point to Seaside)?  As an example, suppose I have
a task to get a file name, ask for some text, perhaps present a form to
edit it, and then #answer: a result of the interaction; how would I go
about setting its server protocol without creating an entry point?

Bill

==========================
Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:33:16 UTC 2008

Sounds likely... the #serverXXX settings control the URLs that are
generated by Seaside. If your application is running behind something
like apache that makes the address different than what Seaside would
expect, you should be setting those options.

Julian

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am working on my reference manager.  One of the first things I did
> was create a task for authentication, and that works as intented: give
> it a user name and password it likes, and you are in; it does not
allow
> users to register themselves, which is the intended behavior.
>
> Since I switched to https, I now note that timeouts (I think) result
in
> an http request which Apache is configured to ignore.  I probably just
> need to set the #serverProtocol to 'https', but thought I should ask
> first because I then have to explain why it works the first time
> around.
>
> Any words of wisdom?
>
> Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.