[Seaside] hello and a flood of questions..

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 07:26:33 UTC 2008

Hi Sergio

> i have decided that i am going to learn seaside this week, and convert a few
> scripts that i always use (and want a web interface for).. as i get into
> this, i find that i have a ton of questions.. so i will start now..

Welcome to the Seaside!

> where does my data live?
>
> i find that in developing with something like rails, i constantly look at my
> data in some form of mysql viewer..
>
> how do i view my data sets with seaside.. and is this even an issue?

Sorry for not replying back to you earlier. There was an outage of the
box where the mailing-list is hosted and we don't have control over
this machine. Normally questions are answered much faster.

Anyway, we are back and I am taking a go at your first question. I am
sure others will chime in and answer the other questions.

By default data lives in an image, that is essentially a snapshot of
the memory. As long as you don't close this image without saving, the
objects are persistent. You can inspect them using an object
inspector. Simply send the message #inspect to any object to see its
inner state. Send the message #browse to it to see the code defined in
its class.

Maybe you want to have a look at this book:
<http://squeakbyexample.org/>. It should give you a general view of
the ideas behind Smalltalk.

Cheers,
Lukas